Light systems for RC cars are available for relatively little money. But for our Dingo I wanted something custom, something special. So I made my own.
The goal was to be able to control the lights from a simple 3-channel RC car radio controller, such as the HobbyKing HK-310 or the FlySky GT3B -- both of which we own.
The following functions have been implemented:
- Parking, Low-beam, Fog lamps and High-beam can be switched on/off using CH3
- Brake and Reverse lights are automatically controlled by monitoring the throttle channel
- Indicators only come on when you want to. You have to stay in neutral for 1 seconds, then hold the steering left/right for one second before they engage. This way normal driving does not trigger the indicators for more realism.
- Hazard lights can be switched on/off using CH3
- Programmable servo output designed to drive a steering wheel or a figures head
This video shows the functionality of the light controller: